Sunday 20 September 2020

My First Impressions Of Ratched

 



Horror fans I seem to making it a habit of covering either horror comedies or horror TV shows well we continue that trend with a new TV show. I will fully admit I know nothing about either the character that this show is being based on or the book and various adaptations in which she appears as such i'll be judging this episode as just that a TV episode and nothing more and so here are my first impressions of the new Netflix TV series "Ratched" enjoy.

The plot of this episode is Nurse Mildred Ratched seeks employment at Lucia State Hospital as it prepares to admit a new psychiatric patient notorious killer Edmund Tolleson. I admit the story wasn't as good as I thought it would be just based of the trailer I thought that the story would be a lot better and be told better and while the story is told rather well the actual plot I thought was rather weak at least for something that's over fifty five minuets long at least.


Starring in the episode is Sarah Paulson as Nurse Mildred Ratched and Finn Wittrock as Edmund Tolleson. Also starring in the episode is Cynthia Nixon as Gwendolyn Briggs , Jon Jon Briones as Dr. Richard Hanover , Charlie Carver as Huck Finnigan , Judy Davis as Nurse Betsy Bucket , Corey Stoll as Charles Wainwright , Vincent D’Onofrio as Governor George Milburn , Alice Englert as Dolly , Hunter Parrish as Father Andrews and Sharon Stone as Lenore Osgood.

The acting in the episode was honestly a lot better then what I thought it was going which is honestly a good thing because I had no idea what to expect from this show acting wise. Nor have I heard of alot of the main cast for this show and so to see that the episode was really well acted is for me a good sign since it says that the whole show could be very well acted as well plus how they got Sharon Stone to act in this is truly beyond me.


This show is based on the character Nurse Ratched who first appeared in the 1962 novel One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest as well as appearing in the film adaptation of the same name. I've not seen the film nor have I read the book but as far as I can tell this series is meant to be a prequel to the book which means that die hard fans should expect it to fall into the same trappings that all prequels that feature the same characters or cast fall into.

If your like me and you haven't read the book or seen the film version of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest then everything you see in this series will be new information for you. As such I really can't knock it for falling into those same trappings that all prequels that feature the same cast or characters fall into since I don't know anything about the book or film but I will be interested to know what die hard fans think of this new take on the character.


To me what was interesting about this episode is seeing how manipulative the main character can truly be when she wants something. This is something that we see all throughout the episode and it's something that honestly makes the episode and possibly even this series pretty scary because she's willing to do whatever she needs to do in order to get whatever she wants be it a job or even if she wants someone to believe she's a kind person there's always manipulation involved and that makes the character pretty scary if you ask me.



Honestly this episode can be pretty boring at times and alot of that does come down to the fact that there's very little story. Which is why I feel that this series shouldn't have episodes that come close to being an hour long if anything all the episodes in this series should be under thirty minuets just because I feel that's how much story they have but I could be wrong in future episodes they might have enough story to cover nearly an hour running time.

Without giving much away in terms of spoilers I have to say that for me at least the best scene in the entire episode is at the end of the episode. Just because we get to see how creepy and how demanding Nurse Ratched can be as well how in control she really is it also helps that the writing , acting and directing in that scene is so well done it's great example of everything coming together perfectly and forming a great scene.


This is a horror show and that does mean that there are some deaths to be seen in this episode and as to be expected from a TV show there aren't that many deaths. I think we only see less then a handful of deaths and there all basic deaths there's all either throat slits or stabbings which is fine but when that's the only kind of killing that we see in the episode it does get kind of boring and it makes you wish that there was more of a verity of deaths.


Overall this is a pretty decent first episode and i'm glad that it got a two season order when it first picked up by Netflix just because there's alot of story with this character. That being this episode is pretty boring at times and I can see people being put off this series just due to that fact alone and since this is only my first impressions of the show I won't be giving you a rating and all the images that I used in this review were gathered from the official Ratched fandom wiki page which I do highly recommend if you want to images from either this show or the episode just due to how high definition the images and as always we end this review as we always do with our true goddess Elvira wishing us al some very unpleasant dreams.
















 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Film Review

There are alot of horror films that sadly don't get alot of attention from either the mainstream audience or die hard horror fans alike....