Saturday 12 September 2020

The Babysitter Review

 



Now then horror fans yesterday I promised you that i'd be doing a review of the 2017 film The Babysitter. While I wasn't quite sure as to when the review would be coming out I thought it was best to get this review out early in the morning so that way i;m not putting of watching this film and I gave to say that after watching the film there are aspects of the film that I feel was done better in the sequel and so join me as I review "The Babysitter" enjoy.

The plot of the film is Cole is left with his babysitter when his parents go away for the weekend only after staying up past his bed time he discovers that his babysitter is part of a cult and wants to kill him. Just like with the second film I felt that the story in this film was honestly rather refreshing and for once original and it helps that the story was rather told in my opinion and it helps that is a story that I don't think we've seen before in horror films but I could be wrong tho.


Starring in the film is Samara Weaving as Bee , Hana Mae Lee as Sonya and Judah Lewis as Cole Johnson. Also starring in the film is Robbie Amell as Max , Bella Thorne as Allison , Andrew Bachelor as John , Emily Alyn Lind as Melanie , Leslie Bibb as Mom , Ken Marino as Dad , Doug Haley as Samuel , Miles J. Harvey as Jeremy and Chris Wylde as Juan. As with the sequel this film has a really good cast and that really does help the film in my opinion.

Again just like the with the sequel the acting in the film is enjoyably over the top with all the actors giving an over the top performance that oddly works for these films. I'd say that for these films at least if you give an over the top performance then your doing something right because this is the kind of the film series that doesn't require you to deliver an OSCAR worthy performance but instead requires you to go full on over the top with your performance.


Out of all the cult members I personally found Allison played by the stunning as all hell Bella Thorne the most fun to watch. Yes all of the cult members are fun in there own ways but to me the best one apart from bee is Allison just because she gets alot of the best lines in the entire film and it's because of that fact that she becomes the most fun cult member for me and yes she is the must fun cult member in the sequel as well.

In a case where the sequel did something better then the original is the films running time I honestly feel that the sequel's running time of an hour and forty two minuets is alot better then this film's hour and tweney five minuets running time. Just because with those extra seventeen minuets the story can get built up better , the kills can be more insane and any running jokes can be set up which all all the film in the long run and that's just not the case here.


I'm just going to say Bee is the best character in this whole movie and yes that includes our hero of the film as well. I say this because Bee is just so cool and in charge she won't be afraid to kill you if you make her angry and on top of that she's also oddly likeable which is something that I don't think i've said when talking about the villain in a horror film but I feel that it's true here plus she feels like she's a cool person just to hang out with.



I know I just talked about the running time but I have to mention it again because for me at least it's a pretty big issue. Since this film feels like it was made to be longer but for whatever reason it was cut down just under an hour and a half as such what could have been a truly great movie at times feels rushed because there trying to hit the next big plot point without taking the time to get us there at a more natural pace.

Now this film is listed as a comedy and so that does mean that I have to talk about the jokes that are in the film itself. I'm not going to lie there are some good jokes in this film most of which come from Bella Throne's character but at the same time I feel that the empathise here was put more on the horror aspect rather then the comedy so even tho this film does have it's laugh out loud moments the second film to me is funnier since there the focus is more on the comedy then the straight up horror but that's just what I think tho.


Like I said before the focus here is more on the horror element rather then the comedy and I have to say that that's a pretty good thing. Since we do get alot of cool deaths in this movie and while alot of the deaths in this film are as over the top as you'd want them to be from this kind of film there not always played for laughs like they are in the sequel which for a horror film let alone a horror comedy is always a good thing.


Overall now that i've seen the two films I can say that I personally prefer the second one more just because it lives up to the comedy horror name a bit better. However with that said there are things that I like about this film as well like for example the deaths in this film are much better then in the sequel but this film also gets alot of things wrong in my opinion as such this film gets an 8 out of 10 from me. All the images that I used in this review were gathered from the official Netflix fandom wiki page , the official villains fandom wiki page or Google images and as always we end this review with our one true goddess Elvira wishing us all some very unpleasant dreams.




 













No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Film Review

There are alot of horror films that sadly don't get alot of attention from either the mainstream audience or die hard horror fans alike....