Saturday 7 November 2020

Cult Of Chucky Film Review

 



Horror fans I promised you that i'd review of a bunch of Chucky movies and well i've finally got to the last and most recent Child's Play / Chucky movie. It might have taken me alot longer then what I had originally planned but at least I can say that I have now covered the vast majority of the Child's Play / Chucky films and yes I will at some point get to both Child's Play 2 and Child's Play 3 but I don't know when tho and so here is my review of "Cult Of Chucky" enjoy.

The plot of the film is Chucky is once again terrorising Nica who after the events of Curse Of Chucky (the last film) has found herself in a mental institution and it's up to Nica to once again defeat Chucky before it's two late. Plot wise the film is fairly decent since it does offer a pretty unique setting at least for the Child's Play / Chucky films at least but at the same time the whole cult plot to me feels really out of place for this franchise but the story of this film I thought was really well told but that's just what I think tho.


Starring in this film is Fiona Dourif as Nica Pierce , Alex Vincent as Andy Barclay and Brad Dourif as The Voice Of Chucky. Also starring in the film is Michael Therriault as Dr. Foley . Adam Hurtig as "Multiple" Malcolm / Michael , Elisabeth Rosen as Madeleine , Grace Lynn Kung as Claire , Martina Stephenson Kerr as Angela , Zak Santiago as Nurse Carlos , Ali Tataryn as Nurse Ashley and Jennifer Tilly as Tiffany Valentine.

The acting in the film is honestly a lot better then what I remember it being and please bare in mind I first saw this film when it was first released. The actors who you expect to deliver a solid performance really do deliver with Brad Dourif once again killing it as the voice of Chucky and Jennifer Tilly turning in a solid performance as Tiffany and I have to say Alex Vincent is still really good as a now grown up Andy Barclay.


Now it's been confirmed that the upcoming Chucky TV series which is called either Chucky or Child's Play The TV Series will continue the cult plot set up in this film. Which for me is a good idea since this plotline really does need to explained more since it not really handled very well in this film in my opinion and so spreading it out over several hour long episodes is honestly the best thing that they could do for this plot line.

While they do explain how Chucky suddenly knows how to split his soul across several other dolls to me it's something that doesn't really work. Since for all Chucky could have known the spell that he found could have killed him or made him mortal and so I find it very hard to believe that Chucky would blindly put his faith in a spell that he found on the internet that to me just doesn't make any kind of sense.


I will admit that the only part about the voodoo cult subplot that i liked is that we get to see Chucky take over Nica's body. That to me is such a cool idea and I cannot wait to see what the TV series does with that idea should they do anything with the idea but the only thing that I didn't like about it in this film it's that Fiona Dourif who plays Nica doesn't change her voice that much to me would would have really sold me on the idea of Chucky taking over people's bodies is if she changed her voice to sound close enough to her father since her father is THE voice Chucky Brad Dourif which would not only have been a cool idea but it would have total sense as well.



These direct to DVD films have so far had a really cool habit of bringing back actors from the earlier films in the franchise and while this film gas been out a while i'm still not going to say who it who cameos in this film. Simply because well ne it would ruin a really awesome moment and two it is literally just that a cameo and nothing more but I will say that this person's cameo is an after credits scene and it hopefully sets up the characters possibly appearance in the the upcoming TV show but only time will tell.

The running time for this film is one hour and thirty minuets and fifty six seconds so let's round that up to one hour and thirty one minuets. Which while it does feel about right for the main story of the film but when you take into account the whole voodoo subplot then this film could have been better if it had a longer running time just because the whole voodoo thing really did need explaining better and this film just plain and simply didn't have the running time it needed in order to fully explain that plotline in my opinion.


Now then boys and girls since this is a slasher film that does mean that we have to talk about the kills that are in the film. Which for me are very hit and miss since for every cool looking kill we got it was then quickly followed up by two or three kills that didn't look as good but for me tho there were more good looking kills then there was bad looking kills which for a slasher horror film is always a good thing.


Overall this was a decent film but I can't honestly say that it's better then Curse Of Chucky because it really isn't in my opinion. That doesn't mean that there aren't some good things to be found in this film because there but there's just as many bad things about the film. To me and many Child's Play / Chucky fans Curse Of Chucky was a return to form for the franchise and so it's sad to see it's sequel not be as good as such this film gets a 4.5 out of 10 from me.

All of the images that I used in this review were gathered from either Google Images or the official Chucky fandom wiki page which is just called The Chucky fandom wiki page. Since I got alot of the images that I used in this review from Google Images I have no choice but to recommend that you guys Google Images if you want images from this film simply because there are alot more images from the film but not all of them are high definition tho so you have been warned and as always horror fans we end this review as we always do with our true goddess Elvira wishing us all some very unpleasant dreams.


 





 









No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Film Review

There are alot of horror films that sadly don't get alot of attention from either the mainstream audience or die hard horror fans alike....