Saturday 14 November 2020

Freaky Film Review

 



Horror fans we are living in a time were no new films are being released in theaters well now there is a film that is out in theaters so you just know I had to check it out. I can't say that i've been looking forward to this film hell until about a few weeks ago I had no idea that was even a thing but with there being a savvier lack of new horror films being released I thought why not check this film out and so here is my review of the 2020 slasher comedy horror film "Freaky" enjoy.

The plot of the film is a high school student finds herself switching bodies with an older man the only thing is the older man happens to be a serial killer and so the high school student only has a few hours before the change is permanent. The best way I can describe the plot is that it's like a dark and twisted version of Freaky Friday and honestly I can't believe that this kind of story hasn't been done in horror before at least to my knowledge anyway since the story of this film is honestly really refreshing and is really well told in my opinion.


Starring in the film is Vince Vaughn as The Blissfield Butcher and Millie Kessler and Kathryn Newton as Millie Kessler and The Blissfield Butcher. Also starring in this film is Katie Finneran as Paula Kessler , Celeste O'Connor as Nyla , Alan Ruck as Mr. Fletcher , Misha Osherovich as Josh , Former Girl Meets World star Uriah Shelton as Booker , Radhesh Aria as Kumar and Dana Drori as Charlene "Char" Kessler.

As for what I thought about the acting in the film it was honestly a lot better then what I thought it was going to be. I say that because I literally knew nothing about this film and so when i saw who was in the film I didn't have much hope i'll be honest and so it was truly shocking to me to see that all of these actors actually turn in really good and solid performances because it's something that I honestly wasn't expecting to be the case whatsoever.


One of the things that this film doesn't do that well in my opinion is explain it's supernatural aspect which is kind of a big deal due to the film's premise. I honestly feel that the film should have explain why these two characters who have never met each other before are now suddenly switching bodies and the film should have explained it's supernatural aspect since like I said it's key part of the film's premise hell they could have done both with a few scenes or a few lines of dialog but for some reason the filmmakers pay no attention to the supernatural aspect of the film.

Unlike alot of horror films that have come recently this one is honestly the most fun to watch and that is honestly the best thing that I can say about the film. A film doesn't always need a deep story or deep characters sometimes it just needs to be fun and that is where this film excels in my opinion because I honestly had a good time watching this film and it's one that I can see other horror fans having a blast watching as well.


I honestly really like the idea behind this film since putting a creepy twist on the idea of people swapping bodies is such a cool idea and even the original idea of people switching bodies is honestly pretty creepy. I'm shocked that there might even be a horror film with this idea as it's main vocal point because it's such an original and refreshing idea and you could really go as far as you want to with that one idea.

Now apparently this film has the same DNA as Happy Death Day which basically means if the filmmakers of either film wanted to they could have characters from either film crossover and meet each other. As awesome as that could be I don't want there to be a crossover between these two film films just because I think the idea for this film is good for this one film and it would really work well in sequels or crossover films because we would have seen it played out in this film but if they filmmakers behind both films came up with an original idea then i'd be down to watch a crossover film.


This film is one hour and thirty six minuets long which I feel is a bit to long for this film simply because there's only enough story for an hour and a half at the most. As such this film does start to drag on a bit from around the half way mark onwards which is never a good thing regardless of what the film is as such I feel that whoever is in charge of deciding a films running time should have said to make it shorter but that's just what I think tho.

Since this is a horror comedy that means that we have to take a look at both of those aspects and so let's start with the comedy aspect of this horror comedy. I honestly feel that this film was pretty funny with alot of the jokes coming from the fact that it's a girl inside of a man's body (yes I know how it sounds and I didn't mean it to sound like that it's just that was best way to describe it) and so you'd think that the jokes that they can get out of that wouldn't be that funny and that they would get alot of jokes from that set up but no they make alot of jokes and they manage to make the setup very funny.


Now that we've talked about the comedy part of this horror comedy we now have to talk about the kills in this horror comedy. Which i'm not going to lie are super freaking creative yes there are some of the standard throat slits in this film but the overall majority of the kills are freaking creative as all hell and just from the fact that there creative kills I would honestly recommend this movie to slasher fans just because your going to see people get killed in ways that you've hopefully never seen before in a slasher film.


Overall this is honestly a really fun and refreshing horror film it's just a shame that it's being released at a time when no one will venture out to the cinema's to go and see it due to the on going pandemic. As i've made clear at this point I do honestly feel that you should go and see this film if you love horror films but with that said this isn't a perfect film since i've talked about it's faults in this review just like i've talked about all of the films good points in this review as such this film gets an 8.5 out of 10 from me.

All of the images that I used in this review were gathered from either Google Images of the official Happy Death Day fandom wiki page. Since I got the majority of the images from Google Images I have no choice but to recommend that you use Google Images if you want images from this film but be warned not all of the images or high definition but a shocking amount of theme are and as always horror fans we end this review as we always do with our one true goddess Elvira wishing us all some very unpleasant dreams.















 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City Film Review

Film reboots are sadly nothing new as they happen all there time but what is new is video game getting a reboot adaptation just a few years ...