Monday 13 July 2020

Hellsing: Ultimate 1 Review



Anime fans today and possibly tomorrow i'm not exactly sure yet you'll be spending sometime with a group of people who love all things that go bump in the night and that includes yours cruelly and yes that was an Elvira reference. The reason for this is because well I thought that instead of reviewing an anime horror movie of which I only have two and have covered them both i thought that i'd take a look at and review a single episode of an anime and so here is my review of "Hellsing: Ultimate 1" enjoy everyone. 

The plot of the episode is when a vampire attacks a village in England the Hellsing Organization which is charged with taking care of all things that go bump in the night step in to handle it but it turns that this attack is one of many that has been happening over several weeks. In terms of what I thought about the plot of this episode ti was rather simple and was very easy to follow but I do wish that there was more to the story then what we got tho.


Starring in this episode are Steven Brand as Richard Hellsing and Alexander Anderson and Victoria Harwood as Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing. Also starring in this episode are John E. Breen as Arthur Hellsing , Ralph Listeras as Walter C. Dornez , Crispin Freeman as Alucard , Katherine T. Gray as Seras Victoria , William Frederick Knight as Father Renaldo , Gildart Jackson as The Major and J.B. Blanc as The Cheddar Priest.

In terms of what I thought about the acting in this episode it honestly wasn't that bad all of the actors fit there roles perfectly and so I can't picture anyone else voicing these characters or playing them in live action simply due to the fact that i'll always here these actors voices in my head. Part of what makes the acting so good in my opinion is that alot of these actors are reprising their roles from the Hellsing anime series and so they know how that character would react in certain situations which to me helps the performances.


Doing the animation for this episode was Satelight who of course worked on Fairy Tail as well as the Kamichama Karin TV series. I have no idea what the budget was for this series but given the high quality of the images I assume that it was rather high because yeah the animation in this episode is so freaking good as much as I really freaking want to I cannot give this animation enough praise because the words just don't exist that's how good it is and the fact that they had good looking CGI on a TV show budget is just freaking insane i've seen shows made a few years ago that can't pull that off and here a show from 2006 pulls it off with little to no effort.


Now like what happens to alot of manga after a while this series is alot closer to the original manga then the 2001 Hellsing: Impure Souls anime was with that series just using the characters and not the overall storyline. Here tho both the characters and the storyline are used and while the overall storyline will be played out over the the following nine episodes alot of the volumes for those episodes would have scenes skipped or removed here tho everything that's in volume 1 appears in this episode and I freaking loved that because it wasn't something that they had to do and so the fact that the makers of this version of the franchise went that extra mile to me says that they saw the potential in the storyline and it payed of because things get freaking insane.

One of the down sides for me at least is that this episode is barely an hour long with the final running time being around fifty five minuets. Which to me is a bad thing because it means that things get rushed as such I honestly feel that for this episode at least it would have been better served if it was at least an hour and a half long since there's more then enough room in the story for it to be that long and if it was that long that key plot points wouldn't be rushed and neither would key character building moments either.


Now I would like to take a second to talk about one of the shows main characters that being the stunning as all hell Seras Victoria as played by Katherine T. Gray. Since I noticed that this episode starts of a plot arc for the character that being her wish to remain human or as human as she can , this is honestly something that I never noticed before when watching this episode but when watching this time it suddenly hit me that's what they were doing with her character and to me it was really interesting because in any media whenever someone gets turned into a vampire they except it right away but here we see someone almost struggle to come to terms with the fact that she's no longer human and that to me makes her a more tragic character.

This episode does have some comedy in it which I feel works really well because of where they place and who they have in that moment makes it work for me. To put it simply they have a newly turned Seras Victoria acting comedic because she had a nightmare which to me works because they have it take place right after a really serious and dramatic moment and so having that moment to laugh before things get serious again to me works really well and because it happened to Seras who is pretty much the punching bag of this series makes it work.


Now then I would talk about the horror element of this episode but it just boils down to the fact that there vampires and nothing more so instead i'm just going to talk about the action in the episode. Which I feel was really freaking awesome I will say that there isn't that much action in this episode but whenever there is an action sequence something cool and bada*s happens and it's always great to see those moments.


Overall this is really freaking good episode that I cannot recommend enough simply due to how freaking cool some of the action is. That being said this isn't a perfect since i've listed a few of it's flaws in this review but for me the good far out weigh the bad here and while the bad things in the episode are big issues to me they don't take away from my enjoyment of the episode as such this episode gets an 8.5 out of 10 from me and as always horror fans we end this review with our one true goddess Elvira wishing us all some very unpleasant dreams.


All images used in this review were gathered from either Google Images or the official Hellsing fandom wiki page. If you guys want to use some pretty high quality images then I highly recommend that you used either one of these websites since both do have high quality images especially when it comes to this episode but of cause if you don't want to use them then i'll do nothing because that's OK and you have the choice to use whatever website you want. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Resident Evil: Welcome To Raccoon City Film Review

Film reboots are sadly nothing new as they happen all there time but what is new is video game getting a reboot adaptation just a few years ...