Thursday 16 July 2020

Highschool Of The Dead Episodes 1-3 Review



Anime fans since I had such a good time talking with both you and horror fans a few days ago I thought that i'd do it again only this time instead of doing a review of an hour long episode I thought that i'd do something a little harder. Which is do a review of an episode of an anime series now for this one I had to watch three episodes since they told one story but either way it was still a challenge and so here is my review of the first three episodes of "Highschool Of The Dead" enjoy guys and girls regardless of if you love anime and horror or not.

The overall plot of the three episodes is a zombie outbreak has just broke out and so a group of high school students , the schools nurse and a teacher who works at the school have to find a way out of the school before they to are bitten and turned into zombies. I will admit that the summery of the plot was a lot easier then what I thought it was going to be and it was honestly alot of fun seeing the story play out which for me at least is always a good thing.


Starring in the episodes are Leraldo Anzaldua as Takashi Komuro , Jessica Boone as Rei Miyamoto and David Matranga as Hisashi Igou. Also starring in the episodes are Maggie Flecknoe as Saya Takagi , Mark X. Laskowski as Kohta Hirano , Illich Guardiola as Koichi Shido , Taylor Hannah as Saeko Busujima , Monica Rial as Shizuka Marikawa , Emily Neves as Miku Yuuki and Melissa Davis as Misuzu Ichijou.

In terms of what I thought about the acting in these episodes it was honestly alot better then what I remember it being. I say that because the vast majority of these actors are unknowns and so you don't really know what kind of performance to expect from them and so to see that the acting is actually pretty good is in my opinion a good thing since it shows that the actors were taking the roles and the show seriously.


The animation for these episodes and the rest of the series was done by Madhouse who have worked on so many shows and movies you actually wouldn't believe it. As for what I thought about the animation in the episodes , it was honestly alot better then it really had any right to be since when you here about a show with the name Highschool Of The Dead you don't expect the animation to be that good but no they actually turned in animation that looks really good.


For those that don't know this anime is based on the manga of the same name and while I have read the manga it was a few years ago as such I have no idea if this is a good adaptation or not. I can say tho that if your looking for a completed version of Highschool Of The Dead then your going to be disappointed since the creator of the manga Daisuke Satō sadly passed away in 2017 which is a shame because this could have been Japan's answer to The Walking Dead not the TV show but the comics just to make things clear.

What I can say is that series these episodes are honestly really fun I could honestly see myself going and re-watching these episodes even more then I usually do. To me what makes these episodes fun is not only the main characters and there interactions but also the fact that it's a zombie show that doesn't take itself to seriously , this show isn't afraid to have a serious moment and then tell a joke right after it which makes the show fun to watch.


I really loved the character of Saya Takagi as played by Maggie Flecknoe simply because she has so much sass in these three episodes. I honestly found myself laughing alot due to what she said because she always said it with some sass and that just made me laugh plus alot of what she was saying in these episodes are thinks that we would be saying if a zombie outbreak did occur which only made them more funny.

Now there's no getting around this but these episodes and fall of fanservice shots which i'll admit do get a little distracting. However tho they didn't detract from the plot of the episodes nor did they distract from the characters but I do think that the show would have been better without those fanservice shots in them just because for a horror show they don't match with that , hell the end of the opening is just a bunch of fanservice shots so anyone who just watched the opening and nothing more would think that the show is just just fanservice and have nothing to do with zombies.


Now of course this show does feature zombies who here are referred to simply as Them and I have to say I liked how they did them not only in these episodes but in this anime. Here they are portrayed as creatures who are attracted solely by sound which to me is an interesting idea simply because it means that you can create more scares and have more tension simply by having your main characters or any character get face to face with a zombie and at any minuet the zombie could attack that to me is such a scary idea and i'm shocked that no other media be it animated or not have even thought of using this idea.


Overall these are some really fun episodes and they are a great example of what this show can be like when it's at it's best. That doesn't make this show perfect tho because it's not since they do sometimes do a joke at the wrong moment  and there are times where the amount of dumb is just to much to handle but the overall majority of things in these three episode are are really good and so these episode get a combined score of a 7.5 out of 10 from me and as always we end this review as we always do with our one true goddess Elvira wishing us all some very unpleasant dreams.


All images for this review were gathered from either MyAnimeList , Kissmanga , the official Highschool Of The Dead fandom wiki page or Google Images. I'm going to admit i;m disappointed that alot of these images aren't that HD but I did the best i could with the sources that are available to me but I honestly thought that the images would be HD but if you want to use high quality images then use anyone of these websites unless you want to get stuck in zombie apocalypse.












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Film Review

There are alot of horror films that sadly don't get alot of attention from either the mainstream audience or die hard horror fans alike....